1st Chasseurs à Cheval
The French army had numerous Chasseur Regiments. As light cavalry, their role was one of reconnaissance and screening the main army. By comparison with the French heavy cavalry they were not as well trained or equipped but they made up for this with plenty of zeal and enthusiasm.
Chasseurs à Cheval carried a curved sabre, designed for cutting, plus a musket and a brace of pistols. Officers and N.C.O.s were more likely to carry these pistols than other ranks.
The Regiment was raised in 1651 but did not become known as the 1er Régiment de Chasseurs until 1791.
1805 saw the Regiment in the 1st Corps of the Grand Armée at Ulm, Amstetten, Mariazell and Austerlitz. In 1806 it was in the 3rd Corps at Auerstädt and in 1808 at Lowicz and Nasielsk. For the 1809 campaignit was part of the Armée d’Allemagne fighting at Abensberg, Raab and Wagram.
The invasion of Russia in 1812 saw the Regiment with the 1st Corps fighting at Mohilev, Smolensk and Boredino. In 1814 it took part in the defence of Maubeuge.
Following the restoration of the King the regiment was renamed the Régiment de Chasseurs de Roi. However, they fought for Napoleon in the hundred days war at Quatre Bras and Rocquencourt.
The Regiment was disbanded in 1815.